Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reading and Realism

During these cold blustery winter months, my reading list gets shorter as I tend to do more reading this time of year. Before Christmas I really needed something a bit lighter than 'Radical' by David Platt, which I had just finished. So I read 2 books by Francine Rivers. I have always enjoyed her writing and her recent series of 'Her Mother's Hope' and 'Her Daughter's Dream' fit the bill nicely. These two books follow the dreams of a young Swiss woman determined to give her own family a better life. I would highly recommend these books to anyone raising daughters and knows the challenges and joys that can bring.

I have just finished reading 'Grace for the Good Girl' by Emily Freeman. This book was recommended on an excellent daily blog that I follow written by Ann Voskamp - author of 'One Thousand Gifts'. This is a book that I feel I could have written; it so accurately describes my disposition and personality. She writes about the masks we daily put in place to give the illusion that our lives are 'okay'. The book is very honest and revealing and was one of many affirmations that prompted me to resign from my part time position as ministry assistant at our church. This was not an easy decision, but I know that it is the right time.
One of many great quotes from this book ~
"You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head." (Psalm 139:5 NLT) Imagine a hero who not only leads the way but also brings up the rear and holds your hand all at the same time. I can't imagine a safer place than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment