Wednesday, October 28, 2015

"Home is the nicest word there is." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

As I consider what I will write for my final blog on this amazing adventure we have had together in Australia, I really think about home and what that means to me. I will admit, I am rather excited to return to Nova Scotia, to familiar surroundings, being comfortable in my own kitchen, just puttering and muttering to my own tune. On the other hand, it will be sad to leave my Australian family. They are so precious and I know when I get back to Canada I will miss the sticky hands, the high volume arguments, the way the girls giggle (as only girls know how), the cuddles and hugs and story time. The list is long. I know that I will long for those early morning strolls with my guy, throwing on shorts and a t-shirt in the morning and knowing that the temperature will be lovely all day. There is no doubt that Australia is a beautiful country - really, why would anyone want to live in a cold climate? It's then that I realize how I have missed the stunning autumn colours in Nova Scotia and the changing of the seasons - that is what I have grown up with and know. This is home for me - spring, with blossoming flowers and fresh green lawns waking up after a cold winter. Summer, long lazy days, picnics at the beach and memory making vacations. Autumn settles in with postcard perfect landscapes and the colours, oh so beautiful. Winter closes in and sitting by the cozy fire with a good book or the latest knitting project is just lovely. This is my earthly home and I am so thankful for it. This is where I feel grounded with family and friends and know that my neighbours are only a phone call away. It's not easy having family living so far away, but I also know this is not our forever home. We have been blessed and I just pray that I can be a blessing to those I meet and interact with on this journey I am on.
One last trip to the beach and treated to a spectacular sunset on the Indian Ocean.

Oh this sweet Australian family - so far away but so very near and dear to our hearts.

A trip I wouldn't have wanted to do with anyone else. My best friend.

Free spirited Katie, just loving life and leaving her footprints in the sand.

Still watching for the dorsal fins and probably thinking about what awaits behind the desk at home.

Grampie and Grammie with the Aussie granddaughters. They are so much fun!

And I'll leave you with the flower of the day - the beautiful bird of paradise.

To all who have journeyed along with us, thank you for reading. It has really been the trip of a lifetime, but I do so hope we are able to travel here again and explore more of this sun baked land.

No comments:

Post a Comment